Disney Pixar’s hit movie “Brave” has arrived on Blu-ray and DVD Combo Pack! Here’s a description of the release from Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment:
An original and thrilling journey set in the ancient and magical Highlands of Scotland, ‘Brave’ follows the heroic journey of the headstrong, young adventurer Merida. Determined to carve her own path in life, Merida confronts tradition and defies an age-old custom that inadvertently unleashes chaos, and forces her to discover the true meaning of bravery. The 5-Disc Ultimate Collectors Edition has something for everyone – from the home entertainment enthusiast who demands the highest quality, state-of-the-art technology offerings, to the family who enjoys the interactive and engaging bonus features that only Blu-ray can provide – making this unique and beautiful film a ‘must add’ to any home media collection.
Blu-ray bonus features include:
– “La Luna” Theatrical Short
– “The Legend of Mor’du Short”
– Brave Old World: Fans will watch as members of the ‘Brave’ production team investigate Scotland, exploring its land, culture, people and dialects. The research they gathered was brought thrillingly to life in the film. Also, fans will hear what actress Emma Thompson (voice of Queen Elinor) thinks of Pixar’s take on her homeland.
– Merida & Elinor: With the creation of Merida and Elinor, the Pixar filmmakers delved deep into the relationship between mother and daughter. Highlighting contrasts in character design, clothing, animation, voicing, even hairstyle, watch how the filmmakers explored this most important of relationships.
– Bears: Take a look inside the art and design behind the bears in “Brave.” Each of the bears, gentle Mum-Bear and terrifying Mor’du, demand a different approach to creating their physical appearance and personality.
– Brawl in the Hall: A fascinating and hilarious inside look at the process of creating “Brave’s” fighting Scots, through animation, crowd simulation and fight choreography – not to mention a room full of grunting men whose vocal chortles add authenticity to the raucous scene.
– Wonder Moss: Fans will explore how “Brave’s” technical artists examined the real Scottish countryside and studied the laws of nature, then turned these findings into computer codes that would blanket Merida’s Scotland in lush moss, lichen and bracken.
– Magic: The magic and mystery of Scotland is revealed to fans in this charming feature about the legends – from mystical potions to the will-o’-the-wisps – seen in “Brave.”
– Clan Pixar: At Pixar, getting into character is a team effort. From making Haggis to Kilt Fridays to celebrating the Scottish poet Robert Burns, fans will see how the “Brave” production crew truly embraced Scottish themes and customs fueled the Pixar crew throughout the creation of “Brave.”
– Once Upon A Scene: A closer look at the evolution of the storylines throughout the production of the film, including alternative openings to the film and many deleted scenes.
– Extended Scenes: Three separate scenes are highlighted in their extended form. Director Mark Andrews discusses the decision making process that led to the shortened versions of the scenes.
– Director Commentary
– “Fergus & Mor’du” An Alternate Opening: Once upon a time, “Brave” had a different opening scene. Eventually cut from the film, fans can see it in its entirety in this bonus feature narrated by the film’s director Mark Andrews.
– Fallen Warriors Montage: A selection of deleted shots that were cut from the film late in production are presented to fans in various stages of completion through a video montage narrated by director Mark Andrews.
– Dirty Hairy People: Fans will enjoy this uproarious bonus feature discussing the development of “Brave’s” Scots – including the design of their hair, attire, and dirt-crusted physiques.
– It is English…Sort Of: This bonus feature helps fans interpret some of the more Scottish lines in the film, thanks to the real Scottish actors who play the key characters and contributed their own dialects and sayings
– Angus: A look at Merida’s most trusted companion, Angus, a mighty Clydesdale.
– The Tapestry: Fans will learn the story behind this embroidered emblem of family unity, which was lovingly crafted by “Brave’s” team of artists.
– Promotional Pieces
– Art Gallery
– Wee Gaffes: A video montage of simulation, animation and shot bloopers
– Renaissance Animation Man: Get a look at Director Mark Andrews’ love of Scotland, sword-fighting, music and more!
– Teasers and Sneak Peeks
There are enough bonus features on the Blu-ray discs that it makes buying a copy of this movie worth it ten times over! Not only do you get to watch the entire awesome movie, but then you get to sit through hours of bonus features, which you’ll love every minute of – we promise!
Let us know if you pick up “Brave” on Blu-ray and DVD, and tell us what you think!
Review Materials Provided By Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment